Skip to content

Quitters never win

Tuesday, 15 June, 2010

Nicks have been replaced to protect the reasonable.

• angyrstan: As of 6:06 PM CDST I am out of cigarettes. 6:11 PM Jun 7th
  • angrystan: 6:56 CDST first serious pang. I am going to post like this until I succeed or fail. 6:57 PM Jun 7th
  • angrystan: 1:32 CDST, no longer concentrate, very hot. No more sleep. 1:36 AM Jun 8th

The following comment was prompted by a telephone conversation with someone I presumed would support quitting smoking. She thought it was a curious and pointless exercise.

• angrystan: I wish to no longer be a drug-dependent person, to not suffer from addiction. Is this so strange or difficult to understand? 12:54 PM Jun 8th
  • Graeme@angrystan I think it makes sense. Smoking is an expensive habit. I never did it, so I’ve never understood how one justifies the $. 1:01 PM Jun 8th in reply to angrystan
  • angyrstan: When I started 95¢ pack of Philip Morris brought genuine relief and fellowship. 9 years until I realized I couldn’t stop, 13 since. 1:34 PM Jun 8th
  • angrystan@Graeme: I’ve never understood how one justifies the $. // That $5.50, $8.00, &c gets you through the day. OTC treatment is fail. 1:40 PM Jun 8th in reply to Graeme
  • angrystan: (1.1 mg [nico per PM100] x 25) + (4 mg [nico per OTC dose] x 6)= 51.5 mg per day of narcotic. Suffering started in 4 hours. 52 hours more… 1:46 PM Jun 8th
  • Vince@angrystan always appreciated the accolades but also made me jones bc you’re forced to think about it. So, one from me – keep it up! 2:02 PM Jun 8th in reply to angrystan
  • angrystan@Vince: Thank you, sir. It’s a touch easier now. Tue Jun 08 2010 14:11:29 (CDT) via web in reply to Vince
  • Graeme@angrystan I grew up in KY when kids could buy for their parents no questions asked. Under a buck seemed reasonable. More? Forget it… 2:21 PM Jun 8th in reply to angrystan
  • Graeme@angrystan Please do tough it out. I am always happy when people walk away from that industry.2:27 PM Jun 8th in reply to angrystan
  • Thirty-seven hours and holding firm.Wed Jun 09 2010 07:44:27 (CDT)
  • Not to harp on this, but seventeen hours until I know if I did this right. No point on giving up on giving it up either way.Wed Jun 09 2010 13:02:01 (CDT)
  • Vince@angrystan what milestone comes your way in 17 hours? Wed Jun 09 2010 13:05:47 (CDT) in reply to angrystan
  • angrystan@Vince: At about 60 hours the gut-level, pure desire for the drug abates … if I haven’t screwed up. Yes, I should be more specific.Wed Jun 09 2010 13:15:41 (CDT) in reply to Vince
  • Vince@angrystan Ah, yes. 3 days, 3 months, 3 years… Lots of water. Constantly full stomach helps.Wed Jun 09 2010 13:28:11 (CDT) in reply to angrystan
  • Jennifer@angrystan You’re doing it right! Keep up the good work! 1:42 PM Jun 9th in reply to angrystan
  • Sixty hours and I didn’t do it right. Keep calm and carry on. Thu Jun 10 2010 06:07:43 (CDT)
  • For the record, my quit day should be recorded as June 8 because of two lozenges at 10 and 22 hours. I’m not proud of how I got here but …Thu Jun 10 2010 11:25:17 (CDT) via web
  • Jennifer@angrystan you should be proud of where you are, though! Congrats! 1:23 PM Jun 10th via web in reply to angrystan
  • Last night, I tossed the three remaining lozenges. I need to figure out what else to do with myself. Thu Jun 10 2010 14:06:57 (CDT) via web
  • 73 hours in. Well, 51 with cheating. I’m down to really, really wanting one about once an hour. Progress. Drove today w/o incident.Thu Jun 10 2010 19:42:29 (CDT)
  • Hit the true 72 hour mark about 3 hours ago. Experiencing thorough hatred for Austin’s compulsive novelty. So much easier to take on drugs.Fri Jun 11 2010 19:41:52 (CDT)
  • I’ve been drug-free for about a week now, and must confess I’m not that keen on the idea.4:05 PM Jun 14th

Advertisements